I'm Courtney Acosta, and This is How I Work

Posted by Ryan Smith on 8:16 PM with No comments
+Courtney Acosta  is proud to serve as the Interim Principal of McNeil High School. She is also a former assistant and associate principal in Round Rock ISD and was a Science teacher and instructional coach before entering campus leadership. She is also a family woman and former Putt Putt Party Hostess.  Notice she's has a copy of The Contrarian's Guide to Leadership on her desk and college diplomas from her grandparents adorn her walls. Courtney will also be teaching a session at the RRISD Ninja Technology Academy on Oct. 25th where she will be sharing even more of her productivity secrets using Google Apps and other tools to streamline her work life.
Courtney Acosta
Location: McNeil High School

Current Gig: Interim Principal

Current Mobile Device: iPhone 5

Current Personal Computer: I usually just use my iPad and Google Docs

One word that best describes how you work: Fast.  Once at the RRHS prom there was a fortune teller.  She said that if I were a grocery store cashier she would want to be in my lane because I work so fast.  The admin team all laughed.  So yeah, that’s my future.  

What apps/software/tools can't you live without?: Pandora
Netflix, Twitter and School Messenger App for MHS

What's your work-space like?: I usually keep it pretty neat. Scattered papers drive me crazy and if I have to make more than 1 pile, it's time to file. (I did NOT mean for that to rhyme...)   Though I do love my sticky-notes.  I’m pretty sure I keep 3M in business.

Acosta's Work Space
What's your best time-saving trick/life-hack?: I use Voxer to chat with my kids when they stay with the grandparents. They get to send me quick voice or picture messages that I can read and listen to when I get a chance. They like me to send them pictures of what I'm doing "right now". We don't have to set times to call each other while they are away but still get lots of communication in.

Besides your phone and computer, what gadget can't you live without?: Apple TV. We fall asleep to The Office every night.  For a while we tried to switch it up to Everybody Loves Raymond and I think it caused undertones of hostility.  No worries though, we are right back to Michael Scott every night.

Thank You
What everyday thing are you better at than anyone else? What's your secret?: I am really good at training my kids to be efficient (getting dressed in the am, going to bed at night)  We have systems for everything. The secret is to be consistently bossy and give lots of hugs and kisses as praise.

What do you listen to while you work?: I stream Pandora on my phone. Usually the "Dave Matthews" or "Take Me Home Tonight" radio stations. I also really like my old Houston station, 94.5 The Buzz with Rod Ryan for morning talk- that one I get on iHeart Radio.

Acosta keeps a focus on campus culture
What are you currently reading?: I was about 300 pages into Outlander and quit... So I just finished Gone Girl- a little behind on this stuff. For work I was re-reading my autographed copy of Leaders of Learning (both DuFour and Marzano- Thanks Mario!).

Are you more of an introvert or extrovert?: Extrovert

What's Your Sleep Routine Like?: My "dream" sleep routine would be to go to sleep at 9:30 and get up at 5:30 to work out. In reality I go to sleep between 10:00 and 11:00 and up at 6.
Acosta's grandparents diplomas adorn the walls

Fill in the blank. I'd love to see _______ answer these same questions.: +Edie Binns, Principal Pond Springs Elementary.

What's the best advice you've ever received?: You have to have balance.

What other interesting careers/jobs have you held? I was a Putt Putt Party Hostess for a while in high school.

Thanks, +Courtney Acosta! Who in Round Rock ISD would you like to learn more about how they organize their daily lives and seem so productive? Comment below or send suggestions to .


Categories: , ,